Nominated by the Mercy Foundation for the Benjamin Franklin Award
Founded in 1923, the Mercy Auxiliary is a dynamic organization of nearly 500 members– both men and women– who volunteer their time and talents to support Mercy Medical Center and the people who seek care there.
The tireless workers of the Mercy Auxiliary embody service and community, two values of the Sisters of Mercy, who opened the hospital 118 years ago. For almost 75 years, the Mercy Auxiliary has advocated for the mission of the hospital and strengthened our community by caring for the sick and enhancing the health of the community through their dedicated volunteerism and fundraising efforts. Everyone who walks through the doors of the hospital is touched by the group’s philanthropic efforts whether they purchase a cup of coffee, visit the gift shop, use the resources in Mercy’s Watts Library, or benefit from the myriad of medical equipment, room renovations, newborn swaddles, or furniture its donations have provided.
Since 1952, the auxiliary has raised over $6.3 million for projects and cutting-edge technology within the hospital, as well as nursing scholarships, the Dennis and Donna Oldorf Hospice House of Mercy, the Hall-Perrine Cancer Center, the Family Caregivers Center of Mercy, and the Sister Mary Lawrence Community Center which provides many local non-profits with space for offices and their critical services to the community for just $1 per year.
Aside from monetary gifts to the hospital, community outreach is a critical component of the auxiliary’s service. During the Christmas holiday season, the group spearheaded the Angel Tree project to provide gifts to children and families at nonprofits like Four Oaks, Tanager Place, and the Catherine McAuley Center.
In this day and age of increasing changes and uncertainties in the healthcare environment, the auxiliary’s role is even more vital. Its fundraising efforts help fill needs when budgets are tight, ensuring that no one is ever turned away for care or services at Mercy.