Website Community Foundation of Johnson County
Connecting those who care with those who need
As the primary writer and editor for the organization, the marketing and content specialist is responsible for quality writing, editing and proofreading for our communications and media relations efforts. All communications developed will be focused on building comprehension of services provided by the Community Foundation and delivering a clear and consistent brand through targeted messaging and storytelling. In doing so, this position will increase our overall engagement with our donors, prospective donors, volunteers and the general public.
This position requires a strong understanding of developing targeted, multi-channel messages to increase stakeholder engagement and the ability to break down complex subject matter to create simple, concise content for a variety of audiences and channels.
As part of the Community Foundation team, this position will provide event and project management support throughout the year. These responsibilities may take place outside of regular office hours.
Essential Job Functions
· Create strong, clear, concise written content that contains a consistent message (voice) across a variety of channels such as social media, digital, letters, commercials, and print materials.
· Provide expert content marketing for a broad range of organizational collateral materials including, but not limited to, annual reports, articles, editorials, scripts, news releases, donor and grant recipient profiles, marketing and sales letters, event talking points, brochures, flyers, ect.
· Translate complex principles, strategies, and programs into consumer-friendly and engagement driven concepts that provide a clear understanding of the Community Foundation’s work and impact, increase brand comprehension, and move people to action.
· Utilize highly developed writing, editing, and copywriting skills to write targeted, multi-channel messages.
· Ensure all content supports the Community Foundation of Johnson County’s strategic marketing goals
· Provide support for speakers (staff, board, volunteers), by creating talking points and speeches for engagements
· Support the development of crisis and issue-based communications to position the Community Foundation to effectively respond to and manage crisis news, events and issues.
· Develop content for social media and website to ensure timely, relevant updates
Bachelor’s Degree, preferable fields are Journalism or English
3 -5 years relevant work experience; preferably with a nonprofit organization
Job Skills and Attributes
Innovation and Creativity: Remains open to new ways of doing business. Critically examines processes and develop best operating practices. Flexible, adaptable and open to change. Committed to continuous learning.
Effective Communication: Prepares clear, complete and concise reports. Able to work with volunteers and staff effectively. Must maintain confidential information. Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
Team Builder: Works to promote cooperation throughout the organization and assists with creating a positive work environment.
Action Oriented/ Results Driven: Demonstrate strong drive to achieve meaningful results and able to follow through on commitments. Anticipate and resolve problems effectively. Work on concurrent assignments and meet deadlines.
Customer Focused: Listens to the needs, interests, passions of the audience with an eye towards best practices for connecting them with the work of the Community Foundation.
Cultural Competency: Able to understand, communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be requirement required to use finger and hand motion and be required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Occasional travel to offsite meeting, events and vendors will be necessary; a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
Accountability and Decision Making
This position reports to the Executive Director and works with employees within the organization, as well as community foundation board and committee members.
Employee must be able to differentiate between urgent and non-urgent matters, collect relevant information and consult with a supervisor or other team member before making major decisions. Understand organizational priorities and implement projects accordingly.
Employees may be asked to perform other duties as apparent or assigned
· Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
· Knowledge of InDesign, Adobe, Canva and video editing software a plus
· Knowledge and skill in internet research, content types, and search engine optimization
· Strategic thinking
· Experience writing for fundraising
· Project management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple project and complete them on time.
· Ability to captures stories with photography and videography
· Strong public relations and customer service skills
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org