Website Friends of the Animal Center Foundation
Our purpose is to raise funds to support animal welfare.
Title: Executive Director
Wage Category: Salaried, Exempt
Reports to: President, Board of Directors
Location: Iowa City, IA
Salary range: $45,000 – 55,000 (Commensurate with experience)
As the public face of the Friends of the Animal Center Foundation (FACF), the Executive Director’s responsibilities include day-to-day operations, fundraising, nurturing donor
relations, and representing the organization in the community. The Executive Director (ED) provides leadership and is a role model within the animal welfare community in Johnson County. The ED is responsible for the organization’s consistent and overall achievement of its mission, goals and financial objectives. To do this, the position
requires positive and healthy communication with a variety of people and groups. The
Executive Director needs to be a motivated self-starter, able to work independently and as a member of a team, and can be productive within a flexible work hours schedule.
Additionally, the ED works closely with the Board of Directors, assisting them in the
development of plans and policies to enhance the mission.
FACF’s mission is to serve the animals of our community, and in doing so this person needs to share that value.
Essential Duties of the Executive Director Job include, but are not limited to:
1. Cultivate relationships with donors.
2. Seek out and establish new donors.
3. Create various appeals soliciting major gifts, planned gifts, and annual gifts in
partnership with the Communications Committee and Board.
4. Solicit support from the business community for major events .
5. Record all gifts and process acknowledgement letters.
6. Maintain a presence within the greater community as the face of FACF.
7. Engage in regular community outreach (Lion’s Club, Rotary, etc.).
8. Develop, implement, and review gift collection and recognition
policies/procedures as needed.
9. Manage calendar of all FACF fundraising activities (appeals, events, etc.).
10. Maintain presence at FACF sponsored/funded events and other community
11. Complete hand-signed thank you notes and personal phone calls to donors to
12. Create a mailed annual newsletter in partnership with the Communications
13. Create and distribute monthly e-newsletter via Constant Contact.
14. Ensure collect-ability of major gifts through site visits with donors.
15. Be knowledgeable of planned/deferred giving methods and mechanisms
providing potential donors with relevant and accurate information on these
options through a variety of resources.
16. Continually work on meeting fundraising goals and provide regular updates to the Board of Directors.
1. Organizational accounting (paying bills, writing checks, etc.).
2. Administer gift making by Foundation to Center, coordinate return reporting.
3. Facilitate Board involvement including preparing reports, meeting with members
regularly, and assisting Board in fundraising efforts.
4. Assist with recruitment materials for new board members, orientation, etc.
5. Maintain and review documents, policies and procedures on an annual basis and
adjust as necessary for best practices.
6. Implement annual budget process.
7. Meet regularly with FACF’s Program Director and the Center Supervisor to be knowledgeable of activities.
8. Provide monthly report of donor relations.
9. Advertise/market FACF within appropriate venues.
10. Attend FACF Board meetings on a monthly basis and provide an ED update
report prior to the meeting.
1. Degree in Business, Nonprofit Management, or Animal Welfare or comparable experience.
2. A current working knowledge of animal welfare and non-profit trends.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills with good judgment.
4. Proven fundraising experience – including documented major gift solicitation.
5. Experience maintaining relationships with all-level donors.
6. Ability to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
7. Comfortable speaking to groups and in public arenas.
8. Excellent organizational skills and proficiency in MS Word and Excel –
experience with QuickBooks, Constant Contact, and DonorPerfect preferred.
9. Experience with multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
10. Excellent writing skills.
11. Experience with grant review and/or project proposals.
12. Ability to effectively balance multiple projects and to complete assigned tasks on schedule.
13. Self-motivated and able to work independently.
14. Enthusiasm and the ability to be a team player and work with a variety of people.
15. Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to
accommodate animals in the workplace.
16. A commitment to treat people and animals with respect, contribute to effective teamwork, promote, cooperation, and foster public relationships beneficial to FACF.
17. Proven financial and strategic planning skills.
18. Experience with developing and maintaining public/private partnerships.
This position requires working in the presence of animals from time to time, resulting in exposure to urine, feces, chemicals, noise, communicable parasites, and diseases.
Email cover letter & resume to Kelly Ruggles.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com