Website The Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization
TITLE: Associate Director of Philanthropy (2 positions available)
JOB # & GRADE: 170003 Development / Grade 7
SUPERVISOR: Director of Philanthropy
LOCATIONS: Des Moines, Iowa area, & Sioux City, Iowa area (2 locations)
START DATE: April 2020
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Associate Director of Philanthropy, a pro-active, energetic, and mission-driven fundraiser, will have an exciting and rewarding opportunity to help grow The Nature Conservancy in Iowa. The ADOP is a front-line fundraiser and will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding a portfolio of donors. The ideal candidate will bring a passionate, enthusiastic commitment to the vision and values of The Nature Conservancy, and comprehensive fundraising experience.
The Associate Director of Philanthropy is responsible for building a portfolio of qualified donors, developing relationships, and reaching fundraising goals. They understand and apply the principles of developing donor strategies. They will be responsible for direct asks to support both Iowa and global priorities. They listen for opportunities for gifts of assets or other non-cash gifts, such as planned gifts and trade lands. The ADOP provides opportunities for donors to receive recognition and increase future giving. They involve appropriate partners throughout Iowa and staff at The Nature Conservancy’s Worldwide Office, keeping them apprised of interactions, issues or concerns. They can feature the programs of the Conservancy in broad terms. They will be responsible for volunteer engagement and donor events. The ADOP will be required to use the Conservancy’s donor database for donor/constituent management recordkeeping, prospect/stewardship planning, research, gift processing assistance, etc.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
• Build and manage a portfolio of 75 – 125 donors, including donors with the capacity to give over $100,000, once the portfolio is developed. Responsible for 75 – 125 visits and 225 – 375 moves annually. Annual fundraising goal of $500,000 or more, along with a goal for bequest notifications.
• Financial responsibility includes working within a budget and meeting fundraising objectives.
• Manage assigned projects, coordinating the work of peers and setting deadlines.
• Persuasively convey the mission of TNC to diverse groups who are important to the organization’s overall prosperity.
• Act independently and in supervisor’s stead as needed, exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
• Decisions have program-wide impact and can bind the organization financially or legally.
• Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
• Ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements.
• May manage or participate in complex or sensitive negotiations.
• Travel frequently and on short notice, roughly 40%. Mostly in state with some exceptions.
• Work long and flexible hours as needed.
• Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
• Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience or an equivalent combination.
• Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with prospects or fundraising constituents.
• Experience in presenting and closing proposals
• Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors in donor relationship management systems.
• Experience working with cross-functional teams.
• Experience, coursework, or other training in fundraising principles and practices.
• Experience in writing and editing funding proposals, presentations, donor letters, annual reports, or equivalent.
• Must possess valid driver’s license.
• Experience in asking for and closing gifts of $25,000 or more.
• Basic knowledge of and interest in conservation issues and trends.
• Ability to determine an individual’s interests, capacity and potential for helping the Conservancy meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with the Conservancy’s work.
• Ability to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about appropriate giving vehicles.
• Ability to implement and manage fundraising plans, including individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition plans.
• Knowledge of current trends in the charitable giving in the areas of capital campaigns, major gifts or planned giving.
• Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
• Proven ability to negotiate high profile or sensitive agreements.
• Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
HOW TO APPLY
Application Deadline: February 7, 2020
Please submit your resume and cover letter through The Nature Conservancy’s online application system at nature.org/careers. In your cover letter, please indicate which location you prefer: Des Moines area or Sioux City area.
All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 7, 2020. If you are having technical problems with the site or application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include the job opening ID. Any questions related to this specific position may be directed to email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit nature.org.