The Director of Development directs a comprehensive program that includes efforts with major donors, managing the annual fund and membership, securing corporate sponsors, and providing strategy and direction for planned giving, endowment campaigns, program sponsors and special events. The Director of Development reports directly to the President & CEO and is responsible for meeting clear and challenging annual goals. This position works closely with the Program Director, Executive Team, and Board of Directors/Trustees on funding strategies and donor stewardship. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to the outdoors and environment.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive annual Trees Forever development plan with objectives, timelines and evaluation methods.
- Assure success and consistent growth of annual fund, endowment, membership, corporate and special event support.
- Responsible for annual and special campaigns by working with the Marketing
- Manager and team on letter, graphics and overall tactics.
- Work closely with the President, Board, Foundation and staff to grow major donors and the endowment by initiating individual and corporate visits.
- Strategize with executive and program team on sponsorships, telling our inspiring stories and community engagement priorities.
- Assure timely follow-through and appropriate recognition of donors, including the Gold Leaf Society and Sustaining Members.
- Make monthly development reports to President and Core Team and regular presentations to Board.
- Provide oversight and ensure all major donor records and files are up-to-date and well maintained in Salesforce along with the hard copy system (based upon best practices).
- Work with CFO to update the Trees Forever profile on charity-rating sites, including GuideStar and Charity Navigator.
Work as key member of the Marketing & Development Team to provide oversight of donor cultivation and stewardship activities, including communications to donors and constituents that comply with branding guidelines.
- Assume additional development duties as assigned by the President.
- Meet annual development goals and stay within annual budget.
- Adhere to all charity fundraising laws and codes of practices.
- Represent Trees Forever in assigned community, professional and service organizations and events.
- Provide supervision and guidance to the Development Coordinator while serving as a creative, collaborative member of the Marketing and Development Team.
Prefer bachelor’s degree with considerable experience or background in:
- Development and fundraising
- Community relations
- Contact management databases
Must possess a commitment to:
- Working for an environmental non-profit organization.
- Environmental stewardship and engaging others in this mission.
- Community engagement and networking.
Must possess the following skills:
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Technological skills including Microsoft Office and other contact management and database systems; experience with SalesForce is a plus.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, especially in writing.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to build effective relationships with donors, sponsors, board members, staff and partners.
- Strong leadership traits with the ability to give/receive constructive feedback, be an effective team member and trainer on development issues.
- Must maintain reliable transportation and willingness to travel, including occasional overnight trips and some evening and weekend events.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Retirement Plan Match to 4% of salary (immediate eligibility)
Medical Coverage (partial employer participation – family plans available)
Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Short-term Disability Coverage
Dental (including family plans) and Long-term Disability Coverage available
11 Paid Holidays
Generous Paid Leave:
18 days accumulation for first year, up to 30 days by Year Five
Flexible Work Environment
To apply for this job please visit www.treesforever.org.